YugabyteDB Engineering Update – Oct 14, 2019
[#1851] YSQL: Support for Pushdown of Aggregate Queries
With the YCQL API, aggregate queries (count/max/min) are pushed down to DocDB where they can be efficiently processed. Prior to this release, YugabyteDB’s YSQL API would retrieve all the rows and then leave it up to Postgres to perform the aggregation. Now with 2.0.1, this issue has been addressed and users can expect better performance on aggregate queries using the YSQL API.
[#2226] YSQL: Support ALTER TABLE, ALTER COLUMN sequence/identity
This issue brings support for various ALTER TABLE and ALTER COLUMN variations that require SET or DROP IDENTITY. For example:
ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN SET GENERATED/sequence_option
ALTER TABLE ALTER COLUMN DROP identity
New Documentation, Blogs, Tutorials, and Videos
- 2019 Distributed SQL Summit Recap and Highlights
- The Effect of Isolation Levels on Distributed SQL Performance Benchmarking
- Getting Started with PostgreSQL Triggers in a Distributed SQL Database
- Recapping My Internship at Yugabyte – Jayden Navarro
We have uploaded over a dozen videos from this year’s Distributed SQL Summit. You can links to the presentations, slides and a recap of the highlights by checking out, “2019 Distributed SQL Summit Recap and Highlights.”
Upcoming Meetups and Conferences
Distributed SQL Webinars
- 10/30: Distributed Databases Deconstructed: CockroachDB, TiDB and YugabyteDB
- 11/6: Developing Cloud-Native Spring Microservices with a Distributed SQL Backend
- Oct 16: San Jose, CA
KubeCon + CloudNativeCon
Nov 18-21: San Diego
Dec 2-6: Las Vegas
We are Hiring!
Yugabyte is growing fast and we’d like you to help us keep the momentum going! Check out our currently open positions:
- Software Engineer – Cloud Infrastructure – Sunnyvale, CA
- Software Engineer – Core Database – Sunnyvale, CA
- Software Engineer – Full Stack – Sunnyvale, CA
- Developer Advocate – Sunnyvale, CA
Our team consists of domain experts from leading software companies such as Facebook, Oracle, Nutanix, Google and LinkedIn. We have come a long way in a short time but we cannot rest on our past accomplishments. We need your ideas and skills to make us better at every function that is necessary to create the next great software company. All while having tons of fun and blazing new trails!
Ready to start exploring YugabyteDB features? Getting up and running locally on your laptop is fast. Visit our quickstart page to get started.